Sunday, July 22, 2012

New Home

I can't believe I have already been here for 5 1/2 weeks!

We just moved into a new house closer to Arusha to start work at our hospitals.  Half of our group is spread out around Moshi, another town in Tanzania close to Kilimanjaro, but I am living with the Arusha group.  There are nine of us girls living in the same house in Arusha and then working at four different hospitals around the city.  I am working at Tengeru Hospital with Zodina which is about a half an hour commute on the dala dala.

It was so sad moving out of our homestays and the comfortable life we had gotten used to, but I will go back to visit my family during this month!

Family Photo: Daria, John, Mama Glori, Ana, me

We had an interesting first night in the new house though!  It was our new mama's 50th birthday so she told us she was going to throw a "small disco" to celebrate.  Close to 100 people showed up and we feasted outside and learned the african line dance.  It was really fun!  But the most interesting part was that in the afternoon we saw our family slaughter a goat which we ate for dinner!  It was delicious but then we discovered that they eat every part of the goat...even the intestines in the soup.  I think I will stick with the normal meat from now on, but I am glad I tried it.


Tugce and I enjoying our goat!


This weekend has been very relaxing so far.  We spent all of Saturday in Arusha exploring the town more.  We ate lunch at a very good hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant and then did some shopping at the Maasai Market.

Then our friends Lauren and Raelyn from the program who are staying in Usa River came over to our house for dinner and a sleepover!

1 comment: