Saturday, June 23, 2012

Karibu!


That’s the word I have heard the most since arriving in Tanzania two days ago.  It means “welcome”.  Welcome to Tanzania, welcome to our home, welcome to this food.  The people here are so welcoming and friendly.  Greetings last five minutes as you ask: do you accept my respects (shikamoo; response: marahaba), how was your morning (habari za asubuhi; response: nzuri), how is your family (habari za familia), how was your trip/travels (habari za safari), how are your kids (habari za watoto), how is work (habari za kazi), how are your courses (habari za kozi), how was your lunch (habari za chakula cha mchana) and more and more and more.

We are taking classes and TCDC, a training center built by the Danish.  The grounds are gorgeous and full of greenery.  We learn Kiswahili in the morning and have engineering labs in the afternoon, but of course we have a tea break during each session.  I end up drinking about five cups of tea each day here!  

I am staying with a wonderful family in the Makumira neighborhood near Arusha.  Daria (my homestay partner from my program) and I have a mama, a 13 year old kaka (brother) and 19 year old dada (sister).  We also have a tiny paka (cat) who is only a few weeks old.  His name is Pauly and he will pounce on anything (especially feet) but then curl up in your lap a few minutes later.

The environment here is not what you would expect when you think of Africa.  It is not hot, dry, and dusty—there is greenery everywhere and the temperature is in the mid 50s to 60s.  One of the first things I noticed when I got off the plane though was that the air constantly has a sweet smell to it.  

This weekend we will be touring a village on the side of Mt. Meru and hopefully visiting a market!   I hope to buy a kanga soon.  It’s the colorful cloth that all women wrap around themselves during the day.

I will let you know how all of those activities go!  Kwaheri (goodbye)!

 The grounds of the Training Center

 Daria, my homestay partner, and I

 My kaka (brother) and paka (cat)

 Our dinner last night: parachichi (avacado) filled with salad
 
Hanging out at the Training Center


No comments:

Post a Comment